Welcome to Zavalla!
Zavalla, originally called Zavalla Prairie, is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 69 and State Highway 63, twenty-five miles southeast of Lufkin, TX in southeastern Angelina County. It was established in 1900 on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The community was named for its location on the impresario grant made to Lorenzo de Zavala. In the early 1900′s timber and cotton were vital to the economy.
In 1975, Zavalla was incorporated when population growth associated with Sam Rayburn Lake prompted the organization of a city government. Mr. C.M. Cryer was the first mayor. The first city meeting was held in the Court House Annex.
The current population of Zavalla is 647.